Friday, April 25, 2014

Mississippi Kid


 photo image_zps8f971be1.jpg

Alright then...that was Louisiana this week. Actually the place I stayed in Alexandria wasn't nearly so nice as that. Is there anyone here who doubts my slobbering devotion to Dixie? Well, even I have trouble making something romantic out of north Louisiana (as opposed to south Louisiana which is one of my favorite places on the part of the map that matters) I'm pretty sure those arrows are pointing east toward Mississippi...though given Byzantine layout of Alexandria (bypasses, three way stops off of frontage roads, loops to nowhere...loops...to nowhere) could probably just pick a spot on the compass and you wouldn't be wrong.

For me the arrows are pointing east-southeast through Alabama and Georgia into North Florida. I'm heading out, in the morning, to spend a few days with my Daddy...playing golf and drinking coffee. A decades old winning formula.

Provisions for the trip have been gathered...

 photo image_zpsff0485bf.jpg

Instead of the usual route that would take me down through Mobile, Alabama and along the Panhandle of Florida, I'm going first to Birmingham...then I'll wind my way down through Montgomery into the Wiregrass, with a swing through Georgia...just because.

I have my reasons, other than the fact that I've been making that same ride through Mobile for 25 years...namely Full Moon BBQ and the Birmingham Museum of Art. I had been under the impression that they had a collection of works by Jonathan Lasker...that was why I had originally made plans to go that way. I don't think his work is there anymore but...they have just reopened the African art collection (in the grand reopening was today)...so my plans are the same.

For the curious, Jonathan Lasker and African masks and shields have as much to do with my paintings as tractor trailers and firework stands. Which is to say, a great deal.

 photo image_zpse27b501a.jpg

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It is indeed.

      The Birmingham Museum of Art, which I've just pulled myself away from, is also very good...neo-expressionist, samurai armor, Congo masks and icons. Sweet Jes...

      Delete
  2. Three wonderful pics! And the BMA sounds great.
    On a separate note, hoping you and yours are all ok in tornado weather...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for asking ma'am.

    We are all safe and accounted for. Naturally, it's sunshine and soft breezes follow me where ever I go.
    I had to play weather man for Martha and the Boy when the cable went out in Jackson.
    There were two tornados in the area. One went north of our house and the other went south of it. The one to the south sounds like it was bad business.
    That's JQ's slab but I think she made it alright.

    ReplyDelete